Barker Law Firm PC
Talk To An Experienced
Attorney Today 713-205-7573

When can child custody be changed in Texas?

Once you have a child custody agreement, you have restricted options for getting it changed. Furthermore, a custody change is unlikely to be granted if it does not seem to be in the best interests of the child.

That said, there is still a lot of room to negotiate for custody changes within these boundaries. Here are some common scenarios when custody may be modified:

One parent voluntarily gives up some custody/all custody

One scenario is when one of the parents, for whatever reason(s), decides to give up custody rights. For example, this could happen if the parent realizes that he or she is unfit or is unable to effectively parent the child.

Alternatively, if the parent places the child in another person's care for at least six months, that may warrant a custody change except in cases of military service.

The child initiates the process or prefers the change

A child who is at least 12 years old should typically have a lot of say in custody arrangements under Texas law. Of course, the child does not have the final say, but if he or she wants a custody change, the courts take that preference seriously.

The bottom line remains whether the modification is in the child's best interests. So, a proposed custody change for a child who wants Parent A to have sole custody because this parent has no rules in the house might not be in the child's best interest.

One parent's or both parents' situations have changed significantly

Parents' lives can change for many reasons, including criminal convictions and jail time, a relocation or health concerns. The changes do not necessarily have to be negative. For example, a parent who struggled with addiction and who was granted limited visitation because of that could decide to petition for expanded access to the child after being provably sober for a few years.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Schedule A Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Barker Law Firm PC
19901 Southwest Freeway
Suite 115
Sugar Land, TX 77479

Phone: 713-205-7573
Fax: 713-583-8600
Sugar Land Law Office Map

Barker Law Firm PC

Review Us

By Appointment

2717 Commercial Center Blvd.
Suite E200
Katy, TX 77494

Map & Directions