Barker Law Firm PC
Talk To An Experienced
Attorney Today 713-205-7573

What to do when a divorce order is defied

Texas residents and others going through a divorce may have the power to create a divorce agreement that meets their needs. However, there is no guarantee that a party to the deal will live up to its terms. If a former spouse is not paying child or spousal support as agreed, it could be possible to take legal action to have that person held in contempt of court.

Such a ruling might result in the party who is not complying with the agreement spending time in jail. It may also result in wages being garnished until a person is current with his or her payment obligations. Divorce agreements could stipulate who pays some or all the debt accrued during a marriage. However, if a debt is in a person's name, a missed payment can result in damage to a credit score regardless of who was supposed to take care of it.

This is because a creditor is not bound by the terms of a divorce agreement. Ideally, an individual will pay off the debt ahead of time. It may also be possible to refinance it into the name of the person who is responsible for paying it off. Otherwise, a person's only recourse may be to seek a judgment against whoever was supposed to make the payments.

Individuals who are going through a divorce may benefit from working with an attorney. A legal professional may advise a person throughout the process of dissolving a marriage whether it is done through litigation or negotiation. An attorney may also be able to review a prenuptial agreement or any agreement created during the marriage. This may make it easier for a couple to reach a settlement that both parties are content with.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Schedule A Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Barker Law Firm PC
19901 Southwest Freeway
Suite 115
Sugar Land, TX 77479

Phone: 713-205-7573
Fax: 713-583-8600
Sugar Land Law Office Map

Barker Law Firm PC

Review Us

By Appointment

2717 Commercial Center Blvd.
Suite E200
Katy, TX 77494

Map & Directions